December 4, 2008

Freddie Wilson Skateboard

This past summer I was very excited to read Carol Sheehan’s new book Breathing Stone. One of the things that struck me was a piece that wasn’t a featured piece in the book, it was merely in the picture of Freddie Wilson’s shop. There it sat, a miniature skateboard carved from argillite with trade bead wheels. The idea of creating something out of argillite that is inspired by one’s surroundings dates back to some of the first argillite carvings. Whether it’s a European-style pipe from the mid 1800’s or a skateboard from today, artists are often responding to their environment.

I want to try to do sculpture that is unique… when my art leaves my hands I sometimes imagine where it could be or how it could be displayed. In the end, I guess, it doesn’t really matter, as long as it’s being appreciated and where others can see it and get something out of it.

No comments: